Friday, January 20, 2012

Dina and Dan Might Make It Rain Roughly


And I did not get along with myself.
Then hi.
The train was talking about my mother.
He chewed the gum and the road the train
It all fell in on her
And she died.
He thought of the occasion of his occasion
How close in spirit they were, as increasing distresses
Sundered them. They lived in a partial age.
How everyone is always talking about themselves.
The hamstrung teens. Hamstrung by their parents
Now I fly inside myself.
He was alone when I was a father
He says this thing when I was a boy
The way things talk about themselves, they're talking about everything that's not themselves.
For I am not ready to go, says the mother
Big as the world it heaves itself into, her death goes to advance the
What has done better than any of us, in this world
Strung drunk along the street in lights
This sense of being alive
I take the wing of a car and tuck into my mouth
A bit of light. Lights now on in the apartment
Across from his. Some girl
A promise of deep and important conversation
Readying her bed. What book is it she copies?
The words I live by exist. And that’s enough
There are a thousand children
We are a thousand children.
There is business, after the war, and then the war
Grows up into middle age, there is a PhD program
And now, up, the war is finally understandable
In terms of its distance to those who
With a stone in your head, you encounter in the harshness of their injuries.
I lack the weariness of enough injuries. Today I read
And did not understand what I continued to do to myself
Of this gesture toward the misery of a scrap pile
Piling up
Boxes wrapped in plastic which contained the notes she'd left me
You are such a dreamboat
I will love you forever amid all earthly things it is my intention to transcend earthly beauty
To read not for any sense but for the sheer joy of going forward into your own divorce
Of going forward, and into this idea we have projected mountains
Of great preparation, to meet ourselves and have people who care
They built the house you are going to with their hands
It is humbler than the one you are used to
Go there now, meet him at the dock
Where ships of no import enter
Take him into the living room where she waits in her final gown
Note the tension and the jewels
The stench of liquor
Ask him if he'd like anything to drink
He declines he refuses
He refuses to go home with you
Before you even ask
It is the summer
It’s what I want to own now in the middle of the night
Around a maypole. And my peace goes to pieces
When I hear the drunken laugh of a confident girl
Rush then down onto the street
You tired people
Go sharing your head full of dust
Go dust covered boy drunkard try to snag
Some to call you handsome. There are so few.
Your sister is sleeping with a nigger.
The money is tight. Oh to be sad and lonely
Just enough get up to move
What a horrible thing to say.
They looked like priests with their books
From the desks you could tell they were reading
They opened the window to spy
On the girls in the courtyard. To be sad
And high and not one of the slimmer ones
With the pleasures of boyfriends who know
To brace themselves against the sturdy phrase
I do not consider. I have not considered.
What a horrible thing to say.
You think of the way it began
Men in the country
They who you would reach for when it was getting dark
With a name and all the referents to which that single named branched out to
And the lighthouse with whom you shared yourself with
Reminded you of Andromeda
The way you gave yourself up
Your mother who gave you even money
No it's not to be eulogized
That no one won the pennant this year
The elegy you wrote for the last five years of struggling to recount
The time prior to the moment of this speaking
Ministers staying up into the night with you
Hold me, talk of improvements to this abode
The humble form of my corner
From which I gather a fine dust
Cobwebs, toenail clippings Let there be
The wings of dead flies growing from my back
They were gone until the middle part of the century and came circling back
To get what they'd left behind
Their eggs and nests from my ear
Which began sprouting infinite trees
Katie Jean the authority
Randy Lee the tunnel ahead
It will be in the ditch in five years
The wall is cracked the bells are cracked
The tower is broken it is raving
The night screams
Today your head has conceived of itself as coming full circle
Then it was a blue balloon
Then it was roasting
Someday they will say you'd cracked
You needed fifty years to repair the damage you'd caused to the structure
The form went in the trial of the spirit
It's seventy five hundred for a used Pontiac
It's a damned idea to never drive
The train was talking of her
Rising sharply He bowed as his father entered then stood by the table on which she lay
And began crying
Because he would never see her again
I can handle this
No I can't handle this
And they begin burying her again Only this time
They will want you to get in beside her
It's a good way out of the air These few thoughts
Switch to long loops The bridge is speaking
Of a species of fumes, the curve of time is supple
All curves are supple
The curve in her hands folded over the curve of her chest
This way where you see anything it is through curvature
And that's sad isn't it
To have built recklessly on a sinking coast
But you are too foolish to know what they feel
When they enter the room and you're too old to keep pretending that you know
Admit you have no idea
They don't suffer the ways you think they do
They keep coming an coming and nothing can be undone
He couldn't have been more than a teenager when he decided that it was pointless
To have a family
A house and a home
And he left us
When he came back broke he didn't tell anyone he just sat in the backyard
Counting the flowers that had already come up
Then there was a late frost and most of them died
I'd never seen him so upset
I tried to say something to him
But then I realized I couldn't say anything
And it was too bad that after that it took
He began talking to himself
It's his grief you said He was always leaving us
Then she went away and it became his privilege
His duty to follow her He would follow her
Through the backyard up into the mist
Where she had found her hair
I feel that now
The wing that had broken cast into perfect shape
For flight through, and flight through the irrelevant
Glass the empty glasses the flight through her irrelevant worry
There was nothing more to worry about
It would be taking her
It would be it would be it would be it would

No comments:

Post a Comment