Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dina and Dan Return From Abroad To Find Ulrich In the Tower


It would seem silly of me not to become "the hero of my own novel". After only a few days, I've shut this entire place down. The windows have been sealed with tar, a blackish distillate. There in the mirror stands my image. What a strange place to find yourself, in a mirror, in a tower. It is I who live here now. My name is Ulrich. It's very dark, dank--which suits me perfectly. Ulrich, the dank, Ulrich the dark. I came by the tower via fashionable literature. It is my tower now, I who live here. A man in a red suit coat offered the position and his carriage. I was dropped off, bag in hand, no more than a week after my acceptance. That was it. I took the ring of old keys and turned the locks. Now there's no manner of my interacting with "the outside world" except for a little hole I've fashioned in the top part of the wall, so that I can keep an eye on things.

One recognizes very clearly the scar on your forehead, from when you slammed it against the table, covered with papers, on which you've written your observations. For instance, the weather here is particularly fascinating. For instance, what is weather? A condition for the appearance of things, whose forms rely on that which makes forms sensible. It means for example the puddles of rain on the streets of the city where you were born, or the hill covered in snow, where you went sledding with school friends. This is exactly why I'm here, the form of being here.

One must strive to exist in weather, not as it is, but as you would have it. It rises and falls according to the whims of your intellect. It sears and burns, then the wind stirs, cool and plaintive, it makes its first gesture, and something emerges. It looks like you, feels like you. It as though you were a parent or guardian, seeing life, new life, adjust its mouth, as it opens up to howl

No comments:

Post a Comment