Friday, February 17, 2012

Dina and Dan Make Time To Travel Through It


I had said very hot and very blue before. I got in my car and I drove. I headed for the part of town I usually never go to. I had described days of varying blueness and hotness. But in no way, in my cogitations of "day" could I have conceived of hours, sky, blueness, and all else that I had been leaving out.

I sat on a bench for many hours. It was early in the afternoon. I attempted to draw, holding the paper so that should a passer by happen upon me, they'd see my work, recognize my genius and engage me in a conversation. How are you? I THINK I AM STILL DOING OKAY? I thought about the feeling of a person, the long lost person. I drew this picture and underneath it I wrote, Dear Sister Dina, if I have succeeded in painting a picture, it is only partial, because I cannot rightly claim to be using pigment.

I was saying without actually knowing what it was like to speak. In my bathroom I usually stand up my tippy toes and pretend to be taller, when I look in the mirror I suck in my gut, my cheeks. The neighbors are beset with rodents. When I see them I ask, how is the infestation? They nod. It is fine.  

The neighbor woman sleeps in the vestibule. Her face is covered in mud. If I prod her with my toe she will not move. The advice I would give is not life changing. The thing I always write each morning is I NEED TO CHANGE MY LIFE. When I was a boy I asked a vendor for a bottle of water. I had no money but I pressed on him my thirst. Shocked that he demanded money still, I left thirsty. Over my shoulder I asked him, Do You Know I Am Leaving Thirsty?

Speaking was nothing like those words about to be written down, zipping through my head. The articles came loose. Yet it was the only way it could be attempted. Like very hot, like very blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment